20.5.2020 Handwriting, Spellings and English

Learning Objective: To form all lower case and capital letters correctly and to spell words with alternative grapheme spellings.

English

Learning Objective: (Reading) To understand how characters would feel by linking to their own experiences and understanding what is being read to them.

Listen to the story from the beginning and check out the illustrations from the newest pages.

Excuse the yawn! I recorded this late last night as I am in school, getting ready to see you all again, in the daytime.

Has the story answered any of your questions on your tell me grid?

Can you add to your tell me grid?

Were you surprised when Pattan and his family floated away in the pumpkin?

Have you read a story before where something like this has happened?

What damage might the flood have caused around the Sahyadri Mountains?

Are there other families living by the mountains? What would they be doing now and how would they be feeling?

Click on the pictures below to take you to two different news-reports about how real floods have affected families.

How do they make us feel? Are there any particular words or phrases they use that stand out? Discuss how the reporters might be choosing the language they use – how do they want the viewers to feel? What words or phrases might have that impact on us?

How do you think Pattan’s family is feeling now?

I have been watching a very interesting programme about the world and how amazing everything is in it, even though sad things happen.

Because we have been learning about rivers, I thought you might want to see what the earth looks like from space as you can see the rivers.

Click on the image of Earth to explore using Google Earth. Can you see the rivers?

Planet Earth Wobbles As It Spins, and Now Scientists Know Why ...